Friday, 23 September 2005

Empowerment is an entitlement

Today marks the last day of my third week at MCSSS. How are things in HK schools? Well, I can't speak for all HK schools, but at least from my understanding of the school I'm teaching in, I dare say it's rigid.

In retrospect, I am very appreciative of what our government has done for us and especially in education. Yes, even during this short period of time while I'm here, I thought about the differences between Singapore and Hong Kong and I understand what home really means, now.

Teachers are definitely more empowered in Singapore, in comparison, and although we do need to follow the syllabus and guidelines set by MOE, teachers can decide on the methodologies to foster learning and understanding. The believe that education is the platform to exploit every child's innate potential and talent is poignant and clear.

Here, if you do not make use of the stipulated textbook or tried to do something out of HK context and/ or culture (talk about being myopic metaphorically), you'll be threading on dangerous grounds and perhaps, even be labelled as incompetent.

Now, you may wonder, is education just about learning from the textbook in today's globalised world? Is education just about being able to complete the teaching of the textbook regardless of whether learning takes place or not? Is that what education is all about?

I beg to differ...

No comments: