Saturday, 8 March 2008

D.R.E.A.M.S

I just found out the meaning of the jazzy French number I've been humming this past month - la saison des pluies. It means the rain season. Ahhhh...rain. Somehow, I was just drawn to it (though I didn't understand a single word in the lyrics). All of a sudden, it seems less than coincidental that my destiny should be intertwined with the rain. Rainy days - I remember them all too well. And perhaps too, that being Piscean has something to do with it, I [always] thought.

Pisceans, according to Astrology studies, are imaginative and sensitive, compassionate and kind, selfless and unworldly, intuitive and sympathetic, yet [an] escapist and idealistic, secretive and vague, weak-willed and easily led. Hmmm, how true, I thought.

So over coffee (in replacement of a BD cake) and a birthday song (way in advance) at CH this afternoon, but it wasn't helpful to know that I (still) am one of the youngest as I suddenly froze at the idea of getting old(er). What does the coming of age entail? Amid the anticipation (being 30 is supposed to be a good thing), I can't help but feel stiffled by the tacit expectations that perhaps, society may impose. After all, most girls my age are married with a tot in tow; and me, still chasing my faraway dream.

Which probably explains why I love this Langston Hughes poem so much...

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.


No comments: