So the grapevine has it that teachers have been asked to decide if they wish to convert to the new performance-based increment scheme [under the GROW 2.0 package] this month.
I remain unfazed at the politically correct justification "to ensure that pay remains competitive at every level"¹ where the "typical classroom teacher will see an annual pay increase of 8-12%. An outstanding teacher will see a pay rise of up to 18%. Top performers will see even sharper increases."² Since December 28 last year, many academias as well as members of the public have raised genuine concerns that this move may either attract the wrong people into the profession, or simply serves as a double whammy.
But why should I be? In today's society where meritocracy has since given way to an award-centric education in recent years, where schools strive for ISOs and the like, and who care more for their reputation in terms of winning this many Gold awards at the last SYF or national sports meet, the [performance] grade based on one's work review (which coincidentally seeks emphasis mostly on tangible extrinsic results) is not important anymore.
At the end of the day, what I care about is the verdict from the students I hold dearly on the kind of teacher I am (read: Am I a good teacher?), and that affirmation is what a good teacher makes. Don't you think so?
Footnotes:
1 Point 25, Speech by Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnan, Minister for Finance and Minister for Education, at the 10th Appointment Ceremony for Principals on 28 December 2007
2 Point 27
1 comment:
lady, i tagged you for some fun... blog for details ! :)
Post a Comment