Are humans genetically violent? If not, why is there a need to step up security against protestors and demonstrators during the ongoing Olympic torch relay in various parts of the world? In KL, Malaysia today, more than 1000 police officers were deployed this morning just so that the torch relay will proceed smoothly before leaving for Jakarta, Indonesia tonight.
Of course, I totally agree that politics is sticky and there's never a right way to look at it, but despite being sympathetic towards the oppressed Tibet, I cannot bring myself to agree with the worldwide demonstrations. Think about it: Do these demonstrations serve any direct active purpose to alleviate Tibet's oppression by the PRC? And what exactly do the Tibetan demonstrators wish to achieve by going on a hunger strike march walking 70km to the Chinese Embassy in Canberra, Australia today?
All this while, I'd thought the Olympic torch relay is all about the glory and honour of sports. No? Or are these demonstrations purely coincidental as China prepares to host the long-awaited 2008 Olympic Games? I hate to think that perhaps Aristotle might have been right: "We make war that we may live in peace."
And I can only question for I have no answers. Do you?
2 comments:
Its plain silly.
maybe there are quite alot of ppl out there with pent-up energy with nothing really to accomplish in their lives.
nothing will change even after the many riots n whatever, jus a few more criminal records, a few more broken bones n teeth, and then suddenly everything will be back to normal.
for all you know, the very ppl who are showing up for these pro-watever n anti-watever rallies cld oso be found at the next coming watever rally...?
not tat i dont believe in standing for what you believe in... but lets do it in a constructive way.
...and these ppl obviously aren't intrested in doing tat
*LOL* I think the word here would be "troublemakers". Yes?
Post a Comment