Saturday, 5 April 2008

Rapunzel, Rapunzel

There is unmistakably a symbiotic relationship between a woman's hair and her morale, and perhaps, even mood. Spot any perfectly coiffed head in the streets and you may just find yourself looking at a woman who's standing tall in the midst of critical eyes, and perhaps her iridescence as well.

And this is definitely not just a phenomenon of the 21st century; it all began earlier, much earlier in fact, way back in 1812! Remember Rapunzel of the Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair fame? If I remember correctly, Rapunzel had long silky and shiny, not to mention strong, hair which was also beautifully braided. And she knew (maybe it was the hair talking?) that her prince will rescue her from the evil enchantress who had locked her up in the tower in the desert someday.

So with 2 bad haircuts and 1 less-than-fantastic perm in the last four months - my vain attempts to be a head-turner, literally - I finally gave up the idea of me ever having lustrous wavy long locks (my socially accepted image of a gorgeous woman). But as soon as I had more than 6 inches of my hair snipped off, I found myself walking tall and glowing too.

And so I figured it's not so much the long hair that makes a woman feel good about her femininity, but the way she feels about herself, and the smile she wears on her face. Of course, compliments help too.

PS: And I sure am glad I found a hairstylist who cuts naturally wavy hair really well...ask for Jane at J's Salon (+65 6738 8488).

No comments: