For more than 50 years, Scandinavian home furnishing store IKEA not only offers affordable great-looking furniture pieces, but also adopts an extremely user-friendly and idiot-proof arrangement where shoppers just have to follow the designated path and not miss a single section. And it comes complete with shortcuts where shoppers can choose to skip one section to the next at their fancy.
I love IKEA. I recall my freshman, sophomore and graduating year at uni where sometimes, I'll just hop on bus 33 at the bus stop behind Yusoff Hall to the furniture store along Alexander Road. Maybe it was the meatballs or the free flow of coffee, but I'm beginning to wonder if I was actually drawn to the store because of the effortless way that I could move in that huge space and not get lost.
But yesterday, I actually felt lost, literally. You see, IKEA is currently undergoing a facelift and the store is less than, well, user-friendly. Some sections were missing (I think), some had been moved and the designated path felt different from what I'd remembered it.
Pondering over coffee, I had this to wonder: If life were an IKEA store, where the different sections of our lives are neatly compartmentalised sequentially with a designated path that'll bring us, ultimately, to the exit, albeit a longer time some of us may take or a shorter one if one chooses a short cut, what or how would it be like?
Perhaps Forrest Gump was right. Maybe life is really like a box of chocolates and we'll never know what we're gonna get. In life, we either follow a set plan, or that we float about randomly like a feather in the wind. But I couldn't help wonder: How is it that this profound concept of life could be so clear to somebody with an IQ of 75 while the rest of us spend a large part of our awake hours trying to figure out it out?
Or, maybe Po was right. There is no special ingredient and we just have to believe to become our own hero...
No comments:
Post a Comment