I want to teach my students more
than lessons in a book;
I want to teach them deeper things
that people overlook -
The value of a rose in bloom,
its use and beauty, too,
A sense of curiosity to discover what is true;
How to think and how to choose
the right above the wrong,
How to live and learn each day
and grow up to be strong;
To teach them always how to gain
in wisdom and in grace,
So they will someday make the world
a brighter, better place.
Lord, let me be a friend and guide
to give these minds a start
Upon their way down life's long road,
then I'll have done my part.
~ Jill Wolf
In retrospect, I'd always been blessed with good teachers in my formative years and if I'd ever done badly in any test or exam, I know that's because I hadn't studied hard enough. Let me cite you an example - with the help of my extremely patient tuition teacher, the Math idiot that I am actually managed a B3 (from a D7, no less) in Additional Mathematics in the O levels!
And so in the week leading to my last lessons at the language school I have been working at this past half a year (and for the nth time, no, it's not tuition), I have this to wonder: Had I been a good teacher throughout my entire teaching career? Had I been there when my students needed me? Had I taught them well academically, morally and ethically? Had I inadvertently crushed a dream because of my thoughtlessness or disbelieve (that they can do it)? And most importantly, had I made a difference?
No comments:
Post a Comment