Of course, it isn't the first time I've been told, but I couldn't help but wonder: Is the world much more complicated than I thought it to be? I'm not naive; I don't harbour unrealistic thoughts about the world and the people who live in it, but I do think that everything could be less convoluted, less warped. But evidently, being simple is a more arduous feat.
It all began with the dilemma (not mine, obviously) of not wanting to go for lunch with a certain character from the workplace, and almost impossible to skip it graciously without a valid explanation. And an explanation would suffice to be, well, apparently un-PC, no matter how validated the reason may seem; being sheepish or evasive wouldn't work the trick either. Baffled over the non-issue, I thought aloud, why don't you tell the host you don't feel comfortable with the company and ask to be excused?
"Because the world is not as simple as you think," came the almost immediate response.
But I was wondering (still am...), if being truthful is a fault and telling the truth is not accepted as a valid reason for wanting or not wanting (to do) something, then what is? Lies? Or at a lesser intensity, half-truths?
It all began with the dilemma (not mine, obviously) of not wanting to go for lunch with a certain character from the workplace, and almost impossible to skip it graciously without a valid explanation. And an explanation would suffice to be, well, apparently un-PC, no matter how validated the reason may seem; being sheepish or evasive wouldn't work the trick either. Baffled over the non-issue, I thought aloud, why don't you tell the host you don't feel comfortable with the company and ask to be excused?
"Because the world is not as simple as you think," came the almost immediate response.
But I was wondering (still am...), if being truthful is a fault and telling the truth is not accepted as a valid reason for wanting or not wanting (to do) something, then what is? Lies? Or at a lesser intensity, half-truths?
No comments:
Post a Comment