Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Find me

And though I'm probably never going to look at a circle or square quite the same way from now, I'm left wondering about persona. The same way shapes are used to depict different meanings, I reckon, so do personas.

Persona is the Latin word for the masks used in Greek dramas. According to C. G. Jung (1971), a persona is the mask or façade presented to satisfy the demands of the situation or the environment and not representing the inner personality of the individual. And from it, the word "person" emerged to express the idea of a human being who meant something, who represented something, and who seem to have some defined correctness with others by actions or affects (Perlman, 1986); human beings are nurtured, developed, shaped, socialised, cut down or built up from birth by their daily interaction with other human beings and those circumstances and conditions they experience as potent and meaningful. The transactions between the individual person with his/ her dynamic environment, be it physical, psychic or social, are not haphazard and random, but are contained and aligned by socially defined positions and their functions, by roles. And a person makes him/herself known, felt, taken in by others, through his/her particular roles and their functions.

Roles...

At the end of the day, I could be reading one or even ten, for that matter, definitions and explanations on personae or roles or functions, but that doesn't stop me from wondering how many people actually know who I really am or if I know the real you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Then dont be too academic in your search. Academia, paradoxically, only succeeds in concealing the true meaning of people by removing the very one thing that seperates truth from facade. your original FEEL.

Priscilla Phileon said...

Ya never fail to intrigue me with yr writings ;)

Mask, Facade, Persona, Person...hmmm.... can really be complex. I aim to view it simply and use all my energy to discover the truth about the Person of God, Jesus, in whom I know all other definitions don't matter...