The last week witnessed yours truly in complete, well, to a large extent, misery. So mind-blowing was my first two weeks (out of eight) of school experience that I found myself lost for words for a very long time. And I found out that things have changed in the last five years, and a typical neighbourhood school is, well, not so typical. Although the socio-economic status of the average student studying in a neighbourhood school has not changed much, less can be assumed of the disposition of the student himself. The average neighbourhood secondary school student has metamorphosed into a less-than informative, expletive sprouting (and mind you, not short of a few specific parts of the human anatomy) and uninterested student. And I wonder if I am experiencing reverse culture shock.
It's almost impossible not to hear a student inform you, "Teacher, I have lost my worksheet." barely 24 hours after you'd distributed it. No, it's not a big deal because technically, worksheets can be printed over and over as long as the photocopier does not break down. The drawback? Climate change, but it's not a big deal because we'll just continue to complain about the sweltering heat and more recently, the flash floods. And no prize for guessing how easy it is to collect homework. Now, I secretly suspect the word "homework" is more remote than the possibility of any life form in space.
Oh yes, the toilet adventure! I'm not sure if it were the school canteen, but I believe this is a serious cause for concern for the health of the bladders of a certain group of students who take turns going to the toilet.
Albeit many do recognise the part the school plays in the emancipation of possibly one's social and economic plight, the reluctance to such a breakthrough is baffling, and does not stop short at hurling an insult to the meritocracy model this country has pride itself to have sculpted successfully over the last four decades.
But I reckon the straw that broke the camel's back was when somebody borrowed my chair in the staff room and forgot to return it. Role models? Hmmm...
And so, nine days on, which F word would it be - fight or flight?
2 comments:
Its brilliant writing i must say. Always such an enjoyable read
the draw the broke the camel's back... i like.
oh one more thing, the albeit part, just before the camel's back... care to elaborate more? wondering what's tt all about tt you were commenting on...
Post a Comment