Her small slit eyes darted from the left to the right, her face partially concealed by the book she held tightly in her hands. She buried her head in the book, and then looked up barely two seconds later only to stare dubiously at the next passenger in the not-so-crowded double-decker bus. This continued thoughout my entire journey home from the bus interchange. A Divine Revelation of Hell. That was the book she was reading.
Admittedly, I was drawn first to the atypical behaviour of the plump middle-age woman and then, the big bright yellow letters that read H-E-L-L. I was wondering what the woman was up to when I noticed the title of the book she was reading. What in the heavens is that? I thought. Needless to say, I laughed silently to myself on the possible satire of the book title, but was undoubtedly curious about the content. That was when she caught me looking at her.
The next thing I know, I became the object of her scrutiny as she paced her eyes, moving up and down and up again gradually before referring to her book for a few seconds and setting her prowling eyes on me again. I gulped and prayed. Whatever it was, it sure wasn't the best moment of my life.
Was that a snigger? I wondered as I noticed the woman's smirk just before I alighted. As I walked up the flight of stairs to my apartment block, I could still feel the chill down my spine.
No comments:
Post a Comment