Monday, 9 August 2010

Say my name, say my name

"It all began in 1971 with a microscopic bacterium that was genetically altered to devour oil spills..."

The early morning witnessed the voluntary exploitation of my refreshed mind into editing what I consider impossibly profound texts for the tender 14-year-old.  I can almost see the thought bubble of Joe - Devour oil spill?  Huh?  Is it even edible?  So profound was it, with examples of DDT and Love Canal, that I had to succumb to Wikipedia (and no, though with all due respect to the people who are trying their utmost best to make the website as credible a source as it can be, I still don't trust it).

Inadvertently, I was reminded of an amusing conversation amid simplifying the abstruse articles.

"So, what do I call you?"

"How about my name?"

"Hmmm..."

And the conversation soon digressed to alien life-forms and the weather.

I couldn't help but wonder why the need to change the way of addressing someone when a relationship status changes.  No, don't get me wrong, terms of endearment in the like of honey, baby and darling are sweet, but my inquiring quotient is raised if one encounters extreme difficulty to address another by the name.

My name is Josephine or simply Jo, J-O without the E.  What's yours?

No comments: