Traditional Custom?
And you must know that my jaws dropped a good five inches when I was told at point-blank that a girl cannot, god forbids, stay with her parents in the bedroom she grew up in once she is married. She is, of course, highly encouraged to live with her in-laws, or to rent a room from someone else, or if money is not an issue, to rent a flat elsewhere until flat ownership becomes an option. That, or when she finally gets her hands on the long-awaited keys to her public apartment. It's merely an upkeep of a Chinese custom, you say? But to me, it's discrimination.
Egalitarianism, or not?
And you must know that I cannot not roll my eyes when I overheard at the water cooler that opportunities are given to old-timers because the people-in-charge, you know, the people with designations that begin with the letter D, are more comfortable with them than the newbies. How does one make of having a proven track record if one is bypassed of an opportunity because s/he is new in the organisation? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this in the like of nepotism, almost?
Mars or Venus?
And you must know that I couldn't help but wonder the plausibility of opposite attracts. How does it work when the poles are fundamentally different? And if John Gray were right, something must be inherently wrong because we have yet to start killing each other.
Natural Order of Things?
And I must admit I don't always get the natural order of things, like how my quality of life seems to be diminishing despite living in one of the richest countries in the world, or like how wages have been stagnant for the longest time for especially the sandwich class despite being highly educated in a meritocratic society. Of course, I also don't get why parents have no qualms telling their children to stop misbehaving in public because "that auntie/ uncle will scold you".
And at times, "You're welcome!" is something I need to hold my tongue to a stranger when something as simple as holding the lift door for him or her is taken for granted.
And at the end of the day, if you ask me, I reckon we may be rich, but we are poor...
And at the end of the day, if you ask me, I reckon we may be rich, but we are poor...
No comments:
Post a Comment