Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Diary of a Lab Assistant

A was desperate, so I agreed to double up as her laboratory assistant yesterday at a secondary school in the North. It was a 2-hour science workshop for a secondary one NA class.

Good grief...Science? Fortunately, the brouhaha of yours truly as a lab assistant didn't result in my accidentally gulping the concentrated hydrochloric acid (thinking it's plain water) or getting scorched by the bunsen burner, considering the last time I stepped into a science lab was at 16! But I sure felt lost in the world of Einstein and Newton.

Anyway, for starters, do you know that kids these days do not have to plot their own graphs? They have this equipment called the MultiLog which picks up readings from its sensor and transfers the data onto the computer. Of course, perhaps they've changed the structured questions to more analytical ones, I'm not sure, but hey, why didn't I have these gadgets when I was at school? I think I would probably have scored better than I did if I had those...

Of course, my one-day stint also reminded me what makes a si-gin-na, kampong-style. *LOL*




No comments: