Over grilled pork chops and lemongrass, I was brought out of my uthopian time warp where I discovered that relationships are not based on trust and commitment, but everything else (that's not). But why should I be surprised? Not too long ago, I was initiated into the youth sphere where I learnt of the existence of "The Special Friend". Short of the responsibilities of The Significant Other, "The Special Friend" is the youth equivalent of the adult's "F*** Buddy".
And it's explainable, or so I figured. Gone are the days where people declare 'till death do us part'. Liken a sparkle stick, love has become ephemerous, magnificent yet shortlived. And in this era of 2-minute noodles and 10-minute haircuts, something that requires long-term investment and management is too much of a balancing act.
I couldn't help but wonder: Wasn't love based on science? For over twenty years, numerous clinical experiments conducted have converged to one finding, that is, whether or not a person liked another is based on pheromones. Unlike animals, humans do not detect pheromones consciously but on a subconscious level. And simply put, this special chemical detected by the nose then transmits to the brain the message of attraction. And it takes the pheromones about two years to wear off that intial attraction.
And if science can't explain the convolution of today's concept of love and relationships, what can?
And it's explainable, or so I figured. Gone are the days where people declare 'till death do us part'. Liken a sparkle stick, love has become ephemerous, magnificent yet shortlived. And in this era of 2-minute noodles and 10-minute haircuts, something that requires long-term investment and management is too much of a balancing act.
I couldn't help but wonder: Wasn't love based on science? For over twenty years, numerous clinical experiments conducted have converged to one finding, that is, whether or not a person liked another is based on pheromones. Unlike animals, humans do not detect pheromones consciously but on a subconscious level. And simply put, this special chemical detected by the nose then transmits to the brain the message of attraction. And it takes the pheromones about two years to wear off that intial attraction.
And if science can't explain the convolution of today's concept of love and relationships, what can?
No comments:
Post a Comment