Monday, 16 March 2009

What's next?

Waking to the morning news on telly reporting the Federal Government's decision to cut skilled migration by 18,500 this year, I couldn't help but succumb to the global brooding fear that I was previously oblivious to. And it should be rather discouraging as I found myself only telling my friends last week that I may choose to stay here after all.

And as if to cast the notion in stone, I was told my prospective already meagre tutoring workload will be reduced by more than half, at a mere 3 hours a week for 2 months. It should be worrying now, since Singapore hardly cuts down on education expenditure, no matter the economic health of the state.

I'm not sure what to make of all these until a lighthearted presentation of the gravely ill world economy on the evening news: New York-based Sesame Workshop announced on Friday (the 13th) it was laying off its workforce, leaving Elmo probably not so tickled, perhaps Oscar canned, and Count Dracula counting the indefinite number of workers get laid off. And perhaps too, new vocabulary for children all over the world: L for Layoffs, R for Recession, and U for Unemployment.


Maybe the huge bottle of detergent falling off the supermarket shelf and missing hitting me head on by a mere 10 centimetres meant something, I'm not sure, but at least I wasn't hurt.

No comments: